Rapid Antigen Testing (RAT) is now being used in the community to test close contacts for COVID-19. You must register on the SA Health website to collect your kit from the RAT Collection Point. You can source further information about the Collection Point here.
If you have a positive RAT result, you are legally required to report it by completing this SA Health online survey. The COVID Response Care Team (CRCT) will contact you within 48 hours of your positive RAT or PCR result. You can also initiate care or health advice by calling the COVID Response Care Team on 1800 272 872.
If you are worried or unwell while waiting for the Response Team to contact you, we encourage you to book a telehealth appointment with us. This can easily be done via HotDoc. If you do elect to book a telehealth appointment with us, we recommend you download and print the RACGP COVID-19 guide, action plan, and symptom diary for patients and have it with you at your first telehealth appointment with your doctor.
If your RAT is positive, you do not need to undertake a PCR COVID-19 test. You only need to have a PCR COVID-19 test if you:
- have COVID-19 symptoms and are not a close contact
- if you have COVID-19 symptoms and your Rapid Antigen Test is negative
- have been directed to by SA Health or SA Police
You can also read SA Health’s Information about a positive result for COVID-19 to learn about the important first steps you can take after you receive your positive result, isolating at home, and health and wellbeing support that is available to you.
Please remember, if you have tested positive for COVID-19, you must immediately:
- Self-isolate in your home or accommodation.
- Tell the following people that you have tested positive for COVID-19:
- people staying at your house (you should isolate away from those in your home as best you can)
- friends and other people you have met socially for 15 minutes or more in an indoor place without a mask:
- from 2 days before you got sick until now, or
- if you had no symptoms, from 2 days before your test until now
- your manager at your workplace
- your school / university / education facility.
If you need help, call the COVID-19 Response Care Team on 1800 272 872 (24-hour service), if they don’t answer in the first instance, keep trying, you will get through eventually.
If you are having severe headaches or dizziness, difficulty breathing, or chest pain, call Triple Zero (000) straight away and tell the ambulance staff that you have COVID-19. There will be no cost for this ambulance.
For general questions and queries, call:
- COVID-19 Information line on 1800 253 787 (8am-8pm, every day)
- COVID-19 Mental Health Support line on 1800 632 753 (8am-8pm, every day)